Preparing for Manchester

Getting the grades is just the start. There can be a lot to think about before coming to University, that's why we've put together this essential guide to help you prepare for Manchester.

Are you a UK or international student? Choose a button below to get the right information for you.

UK International

Your offer

Replying to your offer


Check UCAS Track for details of your offer, including any conditions, and monitor the status of your application.

UCAS will contact you when all your decisions have been received, and ask you to reply to these. You accept and decline your offers through UCAS Track. You do not need to contact the University.

Find out more about replying to your offers via UCAS.


The specific conditions of your offer are set out in a formal offer letter. It will tell you exactly what you need to do to accept your offer, and to meet any conditions.

You will be given a user ID and password to log into self-service, where you can reply to your offer.

Find out about your postgraduate taught offer or your postgraduate research offer.  

Conditional offers

If you have a conditional offer this means you’ll need to meet certain conditions before we can confirm your place. Conditions vary, but they usually specify the achievement of certain grades or qualifications.

Sometimes conditional offers will include English language requirements. The University Language Centre offers pre-sessional English courses to help you meet those requirements.

Occasionally a conditional offer will include non-academic requirements such as a DBS check (criminal record check) or a medical fitness assessment.

Any conditions of your offer will be made clear in your offer letter (postgraduates) or on UCAS Track (undergraduates).

Unconditional offers

This means you have already met the academic entry requirements.

You may still need to meet non-academic requirements such as a DBS check (criminal record check) or a medical fitness assessment. This will be made clear in your offer letter (postgraduates) or on UCAS Track (undergraduates).


Tuition fees

All university students in the UK are required to pay tuition fees. Your offer letter from The University of Manchester will state how much you need to pay.

Fees are paid as part of the registration process at the beginning of the year.

Support for tuition fees

Most UK undergraduate students take out a tuition fee loan and/or maintenance loan from the government to cover some or all of the fees.

Postgraduate taught students can also get a master’s loan from the government.

Postgraduate research funding is available from various sources.

Health and wellbeing


We strongly recommend you are vaccinated against Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) and Meningitis ACWY before you come to university. If you’re from the UK, you will have probably had these immunisations – but it’s worth asking your GP to check your health records.


University accommodation

The University’s huge range of accommodation means we've got something for all tastes and budgets.

Find out what our students think about University accommodation.

If you’re a new, full-time undergraduate student you may be eligible for our accommodation guarantee, provided you meet certain criteria.

You must submit your application by 31 August in order to qualify for this guarantee.

Private accommodation

There is plenty of private accommodation across the city. Manchester Student Homes can provide details of privately rented properties, independent housing advice and a free contract checking service.

Living at home

Many students choose to live at home while studying at The University of Manchester.

The Students’ Union runs tailored support services if you’re living at home, to make sure you get the most out of University life, and the same opportunities to socialise with other students as those living on campus. 

Things to consider before moving

If you’re living in private accommodation, you’ll need to let the council know if you’re a full-time student, and exempt from council tax, and take out contents insurance.

If you’re in University accommodation, these will be sorted out on your behalf.

Wherever you’re living, you’ll need to make sure you have a TV licence.